Last we met on this channel, we were all so innocent. And probably impeccably dressed in our biz casual slacks vs. day 3 in the same sweats.
But, here we are: living history, learning new vocabulary, and flexing our virtual zoom backgrounds.
You may have already been a pro at working remotely, but it’s quite possibly your first time leading others (much less yourself!) through a crisis.
With the loss of in-person body language, subtle facial expressions, and informal water cooler conversation, we’re all going to find communication a bit more difficult. Add in the stress of uncertainty, families at home, kids interrupting, and the dreadful NEWS. It’s a lot.
Good vs Great Leaders
We’ve been thinking about how great leaders will lead through this difficult time.
- How they’ll keep their teams motivated, engaged and productive.
- How they’ll actually pull their people through this crisis stronger, smarter, more bonded, and having done some great work, despite all of the crazy.
- You can start with our Remote Manager’s Pledge.
- Then hone your communications chops with our free ebook…the Manager’s Guide to Leading with Empathy.
- Once you’ve read those, hop on over to our Digital Behavior Quiz to benchmark where you think you stand on some of these signals now.
The ONLY WAY to lead through this is to lead with empathy.
And we can all hone our skills there.
Resource Hub … Coming Soon
We’re going to be writing a lot about this in the coming weeks. In fact, we’ll be doing more than just writing. We’re building tools that integrate into your daily workflow to help you lead with empathy.
Because leadership starts with your communication, but it also includes your actions. Easy to say “don’t work after hours.” Harder to actually do that. We’ve got a tool coming to help.
Our new Resource hub will house all these tools, free to download. We’ll let you know when it’s live.
In the meantime, here are some things to read:
And remember: a crisis is an opportunity for great leaders to emerge. We’d love to see you shine during this time.
Stay sane and stay healthy.
Cultivate is a digital leadership platform that uses artificial intelligence (AI) to provide in-the-moment feedback and management coaching to enterprise leaders. Beyond helping managers become more self-aware, the platform also offers nudges and tools to put that feedback into action.